How to get there…
Go north from US 60 halfway between Miami and Globe on State Route 188, towards Lake Roosevelt. Turn right on S.R. 288, north towards Young. The pavement ends about 10 miles past the Salt River Bridge and becomes a well-graded gravel road which continues for about 30 miles to Young. Please drive carefully. About 5 miles before Young, watch for mile marker 301. Continue on about .55 miles. As you come down hill and the road curves to the right, look for a Forest Road on the left hand side. The road is difficult to see because it is at a sharp angle to the main road and goes downhill. This is Forest Service Road 238. We have marked this location with a cairn. If you see mile marker 302 you’ve gone too far.
Go east on S.R. 260 through Christopher’s Creek, to the top of the Mogollon Rim. About 10 miles from Christopher Creek (31.7 miles from Payson) turn right onto Forest Service Road 512 (S.R. 288) towards Young. Drive carefully on the well-graded dirt road about 20 miles to Young. Drive through Young on the paved highway. Continue on S.R. 288 south of Young. Watch for mile marker 302. Drive another .45 miles. On the right side, watch for a small road that goes down hill at an angle to the main road. This is Forest Service Road 238. We have marked this location with a cairn. If you see mile marker 301 you’ve gone too far.
Please be aware
S.R. 288 between S.R. 268 and Young is in the process of a longterm paving project. For current conditions and possible restrictions consult the ADOT (Arizona Department of Transportation) website — http://www.dot.state.az.us, or call: 1-888-411-ROAD.
Some things you may want to bring with you when you come to SAWUURA…
(This is obviously NOT intended as a comprehensive list!)
- this info sheet, with the included directions
- appropriate road maps
- extra blankets
- good walking/hiking shoes
- air mattress/cot
- sleeping bags, pillows
- tent / stakes / hammer
- lawn chairs
- toilet articles
- personal drinking water
- musical instruments
- sketch pads, notebooks, reading material, games
- cameras and film
- animal & plant guide books
- snacks (even when attending an event where food is provided, this is nice!)
Some parting comments …
- Did you mail in the appropriate event registration, liability form(s), and payment?
- Have you read the SAWUURA “General Use Policy”? (And the “Stone Cabin Use Policy”, if you’re staying there?)
- Did you check the Young, AZ weather forecast for your trip dates?
- See you around the campfire!